Friday, May 18, 2012

My Childhood Web


I was born to wonderful parents whom I owe everything good in me. I have two sisters and one brother. They all have played a great role in my life and contributed to a beautiful childhood, in spite of the hardships and challenges.

My Mom
"Do not waste your tears..."
That's what my mother always said to me when something wordly upset me. She has always been my inspiration. She is very knowledgeable in different
fields and has imparted to us a great passion for learning. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of my mother is "sacrifice". I have witnessed mom renounce literary everything to raise us during a time of war. She has never held back. Whatever she had within her reach she has gladly given to us. She has done all that with great warmth and selflessness. I cannot remember a single moment that she snapped at me, even though she was overloaded with burdens at that time. She had to take care of three little children, nurse her husband, and make sure residues of the war don’t touch our souls. I owe her being independent and self- disciplined.Her sense of responsibility towards the community is something that has always made me proud. One of her best professional accomplishments was founding the very first school for girls in a remote town in Saudi Arabia, where she was living about 40 years ago. The parents in the neighborhood were very grateful, and some of her students are still in contact with her up till now.My mother is old enough to be my grandmother, and I think this has made her more serene; she did not fuss over little things nor put too many rules. It is because of her prudence, I have been able to sustain many challenges that I have faced in life. I hope I am able to impart to my children what she has generously instilled in me.

My Dad
When I was five years old, my father had a stroke that resulted in his paralysis. That compelled him to stay at home and for me, he was a full-time dad. He was a very compassionate person, and I remember him as being emotional and very sensitive. Probably it was due to his condition, he easily cried when he missed someone, or when someone he loved was hurt. He expressed his feelings quite openly and used to shower us with hugs and kisses whenever he had a chance. Even though he was in an unfortunate situation, he had great faith; and managed to subdue his trial by being extremely patient. He had an adorable sense of humor and always had the funniest stories to tell. He taught us how to respect others and be compassionate to those who need help. He was the kindest person I have ever known. He used to say that everything happens for a reason, and he conferred on me how to welcome new happenings and submit to fate in a positive attitude; to see the full half of the cup.

My Eldest Sister
My sister is older than me by 18 years. After she was born, my mother was told that she was not able to get pregnant again. Then a miracle happened! Wafa was like a young version of a mother to me. Because mom could not leave dad alone, she undertook the responsibility of driving me to afterschool activities, friends, parties, shopping, etc…She was always willing to participate in my ventures; she helped me with school projects, made me costumes for masquerade balls, and even sewed my wedding dress. My sister is an artist, she is extremely talented, has a great sense of humor, loves life, and fully dwells in its pleasures. For a while, I tried to follow her comportment, but as I grew older I realized that we were not alike in personality. I was very different in terms of resolve, composure, and moderation. She loves to go to loud places, I cherish tranquility, she is very daring and adventurous, and I am very loyal to tradition and culture. She used to tell me that I was too “serious” for my age, and she was right. During my teenage years, she got a divorce and moved back in with us; I had great empathy towards her and went out of my way to be there for her. I had high tolerance for her intense enthusiasm, and greatly indulged her whims and wishes. I have been her advocate at times of stress, as she has been a creative companion and cheerful friend.

My Brother
Ihab was my body guard. When I was a young girl; he made sure that I was safe, especially when the fighting escalated during the war. Although he was only two years older than me, he used to come to the rescue; once he dragged me from my bed when snipers targeted my room and bullets were flying all over. He once carried me 3 blocks to get me to a hospital after I was injured by a car bomb. When we stayed in the shelter, we used to play board games together, and I have great memories with him. I always remember him as being surrounded by people. It has always been very easy for him to make friends; he is very cheerful, easy going, and a great listener. He takes after my father in storytelling; and it is always exciting to be around him. He has always had tenacity and a strong sense of justice; he takes honorable stands in life, and sticks to his principles. He is very reliable, and he is always ready to help. What I always loved about my brother is that he never gives up.

My little sister
Rola is five years younger than me. She is an extremely loving person and very compassionate towards others. When she was very little, I helped mom take care of her. I used to read her stories and put on shows to make her laugh. She was a well-mannered child, and I do not remember a time when she bugged or annoyed me like little siblings usually do. Although I did not spend a lot of time when I was a teenager with her, I always worried about her and I remember praying to God every day that mom and dad will live long enough to see her graduate. (I think this stems from the the fact they were older than the rest of our friends’ parents) When I was about to write this post, I called to ask her how she perceived me as a child and how would she describe me in a few words; her answer was: advisor, listener, and hashoura (nosy)! I suppose I was nosy when it came to her; she was my little sister, whom I felt obligated to help and protect. She also said something that touched me; she said: “Cares about everyone but herself” I was so surprised to hear her say this, because this is exactly what I wanted to write about her!

4 comments:

  1. Reem,
    All I can say is wow. What a wonderful childhood and great people in your life. I smiled reading about your mother because she sounds like wonderful woman. I can relate about being an older parent and how it makes your more patient and serene. I have grandchildren, but have been raising my godson for almost two years. I can definitely see that I am more patient with him then with my own children. I was a young mom with three little ones. My daughter tells me all the time that I let Joshua get a way with things I never let my own children get away with, lol. I don't agree with her though. Your family as a whole sound amazing. I relate to your younger sister as I take care of everybody else and am always putting my needs last. Thank you for sharing your family with me. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing story! There is a reason why our parents, grandparents, and other s were born a certain time period. My race dealt with the issue of slavery and civil rights. With my attitude toward people being treated unjustly I would not survive. Yours had to deal with war. Then I sit ask myself when is it going to get better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, I love your the the love your share and have with your younger sister. I like the way she described you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reem,

    The relationships that you have with your family members are simply amazing. The relationship that you had as a child with your father is very extraordinary to me. As a child I dreamed of the bond that you shared with your father. It is evident that your father was a man of good character and despite his health conditions a great provider.

    ReplyDelete