Monday, August 18, 2014

Time Well Spent!


I have waited for this moment for a really long time; the moment I complete my program and forge a new path in my career. Yet, I find myself a little sad, for having to say goodbye to great people who have been a great influence in shaping my identity as an early childhood educator. I will definitely miss checking by the discussion board and listening to my colleagues’ thoughts, to which I have apparently developed some kind of addiction. I will miss all of you and truly hope that our paths will cross again. 
I would like to express my thanks and appreciation for my professors, my classmates, and Walden for an incredibly rich 80 weeks, in which great wisdom and a deep sense of collaboration were implanted. Throughout these 2 years, I have gleaned a great repertoire of knowledge and valuable insights that have led me to develop big goals. Standing here today, I look back at who and where I was two years ago, and cannot help but feel grateful for the myriad opportunities for professional growth and personal maturity that I have been able to develop. Although I was nervous at first, everyone played a part at helping me get my groundings. I have been granted the valuable opportunity to work with professionals who have been very generous in sharing their expertise. This generosity and noble collaboration have rubbed off on me, and I will definitely pay it forward to others.
My Capstone experience has culminated in great insights and deeply felt learnings:
1. I have been inspired to reflect on my  personal role as an early childhood advocate of and explore wide prospects and positions through which I can make a positive social change

2. Identify the power of communities of practice and the extent to which I can achieve goals through partnerships and collaborations, locally and globally

3. Create a structured response statement in which I turn to research and make use of resources in identifying and addressing challenges in the field. Through this experience, I have learned to examine issues, identify different leadership attributes needed, analyze pertinent intended and unintended consequences, and most importantly put all of them together in one organized plan- a thing I would not have been able to put together without this program.
 
As for my long term goals, I believe that I (a) need to be unafraid to take risks and willing to make ample efforts to make a positive change, despite the deep-rooted status quo; and (b) inspire leadership in everyone, including students, family members, colleagues, and community partners.
I look forward to receiving updates from you. Wherever you future leads you, I will be cheering for you as you follow your passion and inspire other leaders and advocates.  Congratulations!

Note: I would love for us to build an international community of practice, in which we summon other colleagues to share their concerns and ideas about the early childhood field. Toward this purpose, I have made a group on Facebook that I hope everyone of you will join and invite other colleagues, in efforts to keep the collaboration process initiated in this course going and developing. You never know where this would take us, right? An additional wisdom I have garnered from this course J

 

7 comments:

  1. Reem,

    I concur with what you have shared. Well said. This has been a journey that began with anxiety and has ended with competence in knowing how I can be an advocate for the early childhood field. I, too, feel much more confident in going forward and helping in this great cause. I have appreciated your comments, understandings, and encouragement. I know you are going to do great things, and I look forward to hearing about them. All the best to you.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Reem,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with you that I have waited for this moment for a really long time; the moment I complete my program and forge a new path in my career. I think that at first that I will not miss checking the discussion board or blog because it probably have not hit me yet that I am a graduate student and I will no longer have to log in online, but I am going to miss my colleagues and instructors as well. I want to thank you for the group that you made on Facebook and I have joined it. Always Remember To Keep God As The Head Of Your Life. Congratulations & We Made It!!!!
    LaCasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reem,

    We did it! Thank you for sharing, I agree with you we have learned to be effective communicators, and true professionals. Our professors have pushed us and motivated us to go outside ourselves and search for in depth knowledge. It took our passion to get us through. I believe that our passion will really help us have a positive impact on social change in the early childhood field. We can still blog, please keep in touch, I am continuing on at Walden so please keep checking my blog out, and you email me at mousy727@hotmail. I will join the Facebook page you have created as well. Good luck, and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Reem,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It is always good when we are able to reflect on our lives and achievements. Indeed, it was a journey for all of us and to God be the glory we have overcome and have definitely accomplish what we have set out for. Today, we are filled with a lot of joy and energy to unleash. Well said and congratulations we have MADE IT!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Reem,
    It has been such a pleasure to collaborate with you on this journey. You have shared some amazing ideas and insights with me and I am appreciative for your feedback. I think that you have learned some very valuable and personal lessons throughout this process and encourage you to continue on your journey of being a reflective practitioner and strive to always improve your interactions with your colleagues, families, and children that you work with.
    Good luck and congratulations!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for being a great encouragement! Your postings were always very thorough and well thought out. Also adding comments that could cause each of us to think and dive into our text for more was awesome. Looking forward to staying connected and sharing thoughts and ideas with you on the FB page. Good luck with your impact in your community, you ARE making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reem,

    I enjoyed working with you and reading your extremely well thought out posts! I wish you the best in all of your endeavors and if you are on instagram follow me @j_by_jasmyn

    Jasmyn

    ReplyDelete